Hyperhidrosis – Excessive sweating
Hyperhidrosis is the medical term for excessive sweating. The body sweats in order to lose heat and keep cool, however, sufferers of hyperhidrosis sweat in amounts greater than required to control body temperature.
If underarm sweating is significantly interfering with your daily activities and topical agents haven’t worked, you may be a candidate for BOTOX (Botulinum Toxin Type A) treatment.
- Hyperhidrosis is excessive sweating caused by overactive eccrine sweat glands, which are most frequently found in arm pits.Hyperhidrosis commonly affects people in their teens and twenties, but can occur at any age. 1 in 200 people on average are approximately affected.The cause of hyperhidrosis is not really known though many people have relatives with a similar problem, suggesting there may be a genetic cause. Rarely, it can be associated with other illnesses such as hyperthyroidism or diabetes, but such persons have generalised hyperhidrosis affecting the entire body.Self help measures include wearing clothes made from natural fibres, ensuring surroundings are cool and well aired, avoiding alcohol, tea, coffee and spicy foods, avoiding stress and tension and attention to personal hygiene, by taking frequent showers.
Aluminium Hydroxide based anti-perspirants can be used, but these have to be used regularly and can cause skin irritation. Some sufferers require surgery in the form of endoscopic cervical sympathectomy.
A less invasive, but very effective, treatment is to inject BOTOX into the armpits.BOTOX (Botulinum Toxin Type A) is a protein obtained from the bacterium Clostridium botulinum under modern methods of cultivation. It has been used for many years in the treatment of muscle spasms, including children with cerebral palsy.BOTOX is licensed for severe underarm sweating that is not adequately managed with topical agents. BOTOX treatment helps control this condition by temporarily blocking the chemical signals from the nerves that stimulate the eccrine sweat glands. When the sweat glands don’t receive the chemical signals, the severe sweating stops.You should notice an improvement within the first week after treatment and a significant reduction in underarm sweating within 4 weeks of your first treatment. There is a possibility that some sweat glands may be missed, and you may continue to experience some sweating from the untreated areas. If you do not see a significant reduction in sweating, you should contact your practitioner and request a follow-up consultation.The treatment lasts on average between 4 and 7 months.Side effects are generally infrequent. Mostly commonly there may be some discomfort at the injection site. Rarely, flu-like symptoms may occur. These effects usually disappear within a few days. There may be an increase in sweating in other parts of the body and even more rarely there maybe slight muscle weakness. These effects tend to disappear within 4 months and without requiring any additional treatment.It is not suitable for people with neuromuscular transmission disorders (e.g. Myasthenia Gravis), chronic respiratory problems, coagulation disorders, pregnant women, breastfeeding mums, if there is a history of allergy to injection ingredients, if there is infection or inflammation over the injection site or if the person is taking any of the following medications – aminoglycoside antibiotics, anticoagulants, aspirin or muscle relaxants.
Pricing Information – Hyperhidrosis – Excessive Sweating
Price per session*
Call now – Free consultation Laserase Croydon can advise you on right treatment for you skin. We charge £300 per session. The session includes treatment of both armpits.
*Please Note: Prices quoted are per session and are an approximate guide only. Initial consultations are entirely free of charge and without obligation.
Request a call back
- Acne Treatment
- Botox | Muscle Relaxing Injections
- Dermal Fillers
- Environ Skincare Products
- Hair Removal | Laser Hair Removal
- Hyperhidrosis – Excessive Sweating
- Medical Microdermabrasion
- Mole | Cyst | Skin Tag | Wart Removal
- Obagi Skin Care
- Pigment Problems
- Restylane – A natural beauty lift
- Skin Rejuvenation
- Stretch marks, Psoriasis and Vitiligo
- Tattoo Removal | Laser Tattoo Removal
- Thread Vein Removal
- Wrinkle Reduction
Friendly service and good resultsAnon
Very happy with everything. Thanks! Barry M from Bromley
Great treatment!Katy H from Norbury
Long lasting results. Diane, Babs and Pat – good serviceMonica S from Coulsdon
Diane and Dev are greatDesiree M from Caterham
Happy with the service I get and results of treatmentSusan C from Coulsdon
Recent News | Blog
- Wrinkle reduction against signs of ageing
Ageing is part of life and people show signs of ageing differently with some peo…
- Laser Tattoo Removal – Holiday tattoos
The holiday season is in full flow and plenty of sunseekers jetted off to the ho…
- Microdermabrasion (Non-invasive treatment)
It is a weekday morning and you are standing looking into the mirror. You pick u…
Email / Open Hours
Monday: 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 9:00 PM Wednesday: 10:00 AM – 8:30 PM Thursday: 9:30 AM – 2:30 PM 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM Friday: 9:30 AM – 4:00 PM Saturday: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Address / Telephone
Brigstock Medical Practice
141 Brigstock Road,
Telephone: 020 8665 9380
Fax: 020 8689 3647Copyright © 2012 Laserase CroydonPremier clinic for Laser Tattoo Removal, Laser Hair Removal, Acne Treatments, Skin Rejuvenation, Dermaroller and Sculptra® - All Rights Reserved